12.10.2010

Crochet Ribbon Tree



I had another go at my  Christmas tree. Think this time I got it more like what was in my head. And the first thing that comes to mind is that old ribbon candy you get when you visit the grandparents. Isn't it cute??

Here is what I did....

  • I chained 202 with a J hook and worsted yarn.
  • DC'd in 3rd chain from hook and every remaining chain,
  • I then fastened off leaving a very long tail.
  • I folded  it on top of each other like the ribbon candy back and forth starting from the bottom, working up and making it smaller as I went to the top.."obvious I know"
  • With the long tail on the top I used the hook and pulled it through each tier on one side down to the bottom corner across the bottom and back up other side.  Then pulled it down the middle across 2 dc's on the bottom and back up to the top.
  • Straighten it all back out (mind bunched up a little as I did this) and fasten off leaving a bit of a space for hanging. 
  •  Add two rows of HDC of brown in the four middle dc's on the bottom for trunk
  • And attach a star.  "I attached my star as I weaved the tail up through"

Star Pattern
  • Ch 3, 2 dc in first chain. *Ch2 3 dc, repeat from * 3 more times. ch2 and slip stitch to beginning chain
  • Slip stitch to first ch 2 space. Ch1, hdc, dc, ch1 dc, 2 hdc, in next ch2 space *2hdc,dc, ch1, dc, 2hdc. Repeat from*  3 more times. slip stitch to bottom starting chain  and fasten off.




Progress Report...
 I am halfway finished with the Dottie Angel blanket as well, and is already being broken in. By the munchkins.


13 comments:

a frog named purl said...

cute! i was looking through all the christmas tree patterns in ravelry earlier but nothing struck me. maybe i'll get a chance to wip this up before the 2th! thanks for sharing :)

Unknown said...

ahhh well done you that tree is so lovely and cute, it will be a treasured favourite every year im sure. Have a lovely weekend. Dee ;-)

teddybearswednesday said...

It's gorgeous Amanda!! I love it. but I loved the first one too xo

Chicken Willow said...

Beautiful Amanda, so simple and sweet and the blanket is looking brilliant. xx

- said...

Very cleverly done! Love the blanket too and that it's being used already. That's the best sign ever you've created something wonderful!

Casey said...

I like it! I'm going to see if I have enough green left to give this a go

emerson-j said...

wow amazingly sweet!!

Vicky said...

How big does that tree end up being? It looks awesome!

Shorty said...

Great idea... and it does look like old-fashioned ribbon candy. I love it!

becclebee said...

that tree is so so cute! if i only had finished crocheting my nativity scene, i would so start one of these. (but given i have only made mary and jesus - i still have a ways to go)

Abby said...

Awwwww there so cute...
Can you please visit my blog at
http://hookedonlife- abby.blogspot.com/
I want more people to visit my blog

Thank you

Threetimesdown said...

Oombawka Designs shared this on Facebook and I was saying there that I can adapt your design to make ribbon candy ornaments. My mother loved the candy and I want to commemorate her on my tree and for my grandchildren as well. Thank you.Have a Merry Christmas.

jasonbob said...

curry 5 shoes
air jordans
kyrie irving shoes
curry 6
supreme new york
kyrie 7
jordan 4
golden goose sneakers
golden goose sneakers
jordan 11